Friday, April 5, 2013

Green-Carrot Juice





Here I wanted to show my process of making green juice! This particular juice was made with greens, cucumber, apple, carrot, parsley and cilantro.

I live in a fairly large nice apartment that has a TINY galley kitchen. I have so little space to function in, but I make it work! There are two of my favorite kitchen gadgets here, my Ninja blender/food processor and my Omega juicer! Oh and the ceramic knife is amazing for chopping veggies! I would highly recommend one. Just be careful they are super sharp. I don't know how many times I cut myself when I first got it!

Anyhow, I first cut up the veggies, all but the greens, before they go in the juicer so they fit down the chute. As long as the pieces are narrow enough, the length doesn't matter. As you can see there are two containers, one for the dry pulp and one for the juice. The juice is comes out rather foamy so when I'm done with the juicing, I like to run it through a strainer to remove the foam and any extra pulp.

I use a medium size metal mesh strainer and a funnel made for mason jars to keep me from spilling it. It works like a charm! I found it for about $1.50. A worthy investment to keep my juice from spilling when I try to pour it slowly through the strainer!

You want to drink your juice immediately for the highest benefit. Because it is a bit labor intensive to make, you can make up all that you want to drink for the day and store the extra in mason jars with lids on in the refrigerator. Fresh green juices will oxidize quicker than carrot. So use smaller jars that you can drink in one sitting so you don't have to open the jars and expose them to more air. They will oxidize less that way. The juices are really best when they are freshly made.

Green-Carrot Juice:
1 romaine heart
10 carrots
2-3 handfuls of spring mix greens
2-3 handfuls of baby spinach
1/2 cucumber
1 apple
2-3 sprigs of parsley
2-3 sprigs of cilantro



No comments:

Post a Comment