Sunday, June 9, 2013

GF Baked Sesame Humus Crackers





I was on a homemade cracker kick- stocking up on healthy goodies for my road trip to Michigan with my daughter. I am visiting for a month so I stocked up on quick foods that I could nibble on during the road trip and when I'm in town running around visiting. It's harder to eat healthy when you're not at home and around people that do not eat the way you do. I'm sure some of you can relate to this.




Anyway, I decided to try making a humus cracker. I love Socca bread, and it's a very similar recipe really. Just a few changes to make it a crispy cracker. These came out delicious! I think these are my favorite homemade gluten-free cracker so far. If you like sesame sticks, well you will love these crackers, they taste just like them, except that these are gluten free! I also have included a spicy tomato-pepper version.

Sesame Humus Crackers:
1 cup chick pea flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup tahini
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 cup water

Spicy Sundried Tomato & Chili Humus Crackers - (add to the above recipe):
1/2 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes
3 smoked dried chili peppers (more or less to taste)

Directions:
Add all dry ingredients and mix well. Add in wet ingredients and mix again. It should be a dough like consistency. You can then form the dough into a large ball and roll it out and with a cookie cutter or knife, cut out shapes and place them on a cookie sheet. Or you can make small balls and flatten them with a spoon for a more rustic shape. Bake these at 250 degrees for about 20-30 minutes, flipping the crackers half way through to get each side a light golden color. Depending on your oven and pans, you may need to increase the temp up to 300 degrees if they bake too slow.

If you are making the sun-dried chili crackers, beware of the chili's, they can be quite spicy. Add just 1 or 2 for a milder cracker. You can also de-seed them to make them less spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment