Thursday, May 23, 2013

Simple Raw Homemade Horseradish Sauce



I was in the grocery store wandering through the produce section when I came across some horseradish root. It looks a bit like a parsnip root. I love horseradish sauces, for dipping, in sandwich spreads and for wasabi.




Buying pre-made sauces can be a bit pricey and difficult to find them with whole food ingredients and no chemical additives, or other GMO ingredients. So I decided to make my own from scratch! It is super simple and stores well in the fridge and can be used to flavor so many things! I use this sauce just as it is for my vegan sushi rolls. It is very similar to wasabi. Strong! You can easily add this to some Veganaise, mashed avocado or homemade mayo, to cut the strength to add in wraps or sandwiches! For my ALT (avocado, lettuce & tomato sandwich) pictured above, I had a layer of Veganaise and a layer of the horseradish sauce, it was delicious! The sandwich pictured above is gluten-free millet zucchini toast, sliced tomato, red pepper, red onion, arugula, broccoli sprouts, half of an avocado, a spicy veganiase mix I made, and a bit of my horseradish sauce!

Not all the sandwhich ingredients are raw, Veganaise and my millet toast are obviously not raw, but you can easily make a fully raw version by omitting the Veganaise for a homemade raw mayo, or use mashed avocado then use your favorite raw bread or green wrap!

Horseradish Sauce:
1/4 lb chunk of horseradish root
2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup water (more if needed to facilitate blending)
2 tbsp cold expeller pressed extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Wash and peel the horseradish root and cube it. Add it to a blender (small single serve attachments work well for this) Add the water and puree for 2-3 minutes until smooth. You may need to add more water to get it running well. Just add small amounts in at a time. After this is getting smooth, add in the rest of the ingredients and puree. Store in a glass jar, like a mason, in the fridge. This will be a very strong mix, but it is super delicious and so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment