Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Creamy Curried Chickpea Chowder


This all started with a sort of a stone soup method. So to begin, I randomly decided to soak a bag of chick peas last night. I had no idea what exactly I was going to do with it. I was a bit low on fresh produce so I kept thinking ok, I can make some simple chick peas, but what do I have that can I add to this. Then flashbacks of all the recipes I've seen recently of curries on the interwebs came to mind. Yum, I love curry. So my course was set. I would make some sort of simple chickpea curry. Then as I started digging around I added some carrots, my last onion, some garlic. Then while rummaging around the pantry I decided to add a blend of rice to it. As I rummaged further I discovered a can of organic coconut milk... Okay! Now we are getting somewhere! Anyhow, you get the idea!


This soup is based on chick pea curry and Thai curry soup. I can not take credit for this soup, but I can't give anyone in particular credit. These types of dishes have been around for ages and are all over vegan recipe blogs which I frequent. This recipe was a culmination of ideas from many different recipes that I have looked at the past few months and of what I had in my cupboards! The closest credit I could give would be to Vegan Gone Wild for adding wild rice to her chick pea soup which I thought would be divine! I didn't have wild rice, but I used a blend with brown & wild rice which was delicious! I can say this is worth a do-over, and a do-over of the do-over.. I couldn't stop "testing" this soup it is so good! This soup definitely got a thumbs up from others around here who are picky, meat & potato eaters! As a matter of fact, they loved it and I have a new favorite!
Creamy Curried Chickpea Chowder:
water.. and more water
2 cups of dried chick peas
1 onion diced
4-5 cloves garlic minced
2-3 carrots diced
2 tbsp chick pea miso
2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 can full fat organic coconut milk
1/2 lemon juiced
1-2 tbsp sea salt (or to taste)
1-2 tbsp of a good curry blend
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp ground ginger (or fresh minced)
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3-4 sprigs fresh basil
1 1/2 cups cooked brown-wild rice blend

Directions:
Start the night before by soaking your chick peas in 2 to 3 times as much water. They will expand so use a large bowl! The next day drain them and rinse them well. Put them in a large stock pot and cover them with twice as much water again, add one tbsp of salt to the water. Bring it to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let this simmer gently for around two hours or until the chick peas are soft. I usually leave the lid on cock-eyed so there is room for the steam to escape. You can steam your rice while the peas are cooking. After the peas are soft, stir in the rest of the ingredients except the rice and basil. Bring this to a slow simmer for about another hour. Your broth will most likely be a bit thin. Remove about half of the chick peas & other veggies and put into a blender. Puree this for 2-3 minutes or until it is really smooth and creamy. Stir it back into the broth. This gives you a nice thick broth and leaves you with some whole veggies for a very hearty soup. Add in your rice and simmer for about ten minutes. Serve with torn basil leaves on top to stir in. This serves about 6-8. Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment