Friday, March 29, 2013

Keep the Doctor Away Green Smoothie

As always, I start my morning with a 16oz glass of water with lemon. The latest talk is that it is a good way to help your body detox and re-hydrate from the night, before you begin to put food in. And... Strawberries are in season here in Florida, YUM one of my favorite fruits. I can't resist having these around, even organic prices on them are decent! So I had to have a few of these fresh with my smoothie! I didn't want to add any in my smoothie, I just wanted to enjoy them as is! I usually save the frozen ones for smoothies and eat the fresh ones! (And yeah, old Coca-Cola glasses haha, I will NEVER put that stuff in my body again ever! The glasses are cute though! :) Anyhow, back to the topic of smoothies! There are a lot of great things about smoothies.


1. You can pack a lot of nutrition into one smoothie.
2. You can get creative and get your kids in on choosing fruits & veggies.
3. You can sneak all kinds of healthy stuff in them,
4. They are broken down and much easier for you to digest and absorb.
(unless you normally chew really, really well!)
5. They are filling and delicious!

Today's Keep the Doctor Away Smoothie:
1/2 cucumber with skin on
1/2 banana frozen
1 apple with skin on
1 small heart of romaine
1 cup of ice if desired

Cucumber, apple and romaine have very mild, refreshing flavors. Add the touch of sweetness from the banana and yum! It is a very green smoothie but slightly sweet with a mild flavor. A good one to try if you are just starting with green smoothies. You can also add a whole banana and half the greens instead. Really you can do what ever you want though! But if you're just starting to make green smoothies, start off slow with the experimenting! You don't want to end up with a pitcher full of stuff you won't drink! My mom and I definitely did that the first time we experimented lol.... Especially when using organic fruits and veggies! Which I completely recommend. There are some fruits and veggies on the "clean list" and some on the "dirty list" which you should never buy unless it's organic. Below is a great list I borrowed from Joyous Health. What it doesn't list is zucchini, from what I've read you don't want to buy conventional zucchini either! Anyhow, I'd love to hear what your favorite smoothies are! Leave a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment