Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mushroom Basil Veggie Pizza - Dairy, Gluten & Egg Free



I know... pizza without cheese... I watched my daughter eat it that way for years and thought she was crazy. But now that I am dairy free, I still enjoy pizza! The key for me is lots of good sauce, garlic, mushrooms, fresh basil and a crunchy tasty thin crust! Here I used purple basil so it looks dark in the photos but it's so yummy! I also love artichokes on my pizza, spinach, olives, really there isn't veggie I don't like! This is a personal pan size pizza so it serves only one. To make a larger pizza you could just double the crust recipe and toppings.

Crust:
1 cup millet flour
1/2 cup oats or oat flour
1 tbsp ground flax
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (not active yeast and this is optional)
1 tsp sea salt
1 sprig of minced fresh rosemary
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water (more or less)

Toppings:
organic spaghetti or pizza sauce
1 sliced fresh tomato (sundried would be delish!)
1/2 cup of sliced marinated mushrooms
1 slice red onion
1 small sliced sweet yellow or red pepper
1-2 sprigs of fresh basil

Marinated Mushrooms
1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup of gluten free tamari
1-2 minced garlic cloves

I make my crust in a food processor but you can easily do this by hand. A food processor makes mixing the dough really quick and easy. To start, add the dry ingredients, the flour, oats, flax and salt, I add whole oats and it chops them a bit, rather nicely, Add the rosemary and pulse a couple times to mix it. Then add the olive oil, vinegar and water and mix on slow until the dough starts to ball up. You want to start out with just the 1/4 cup of water, if your dough is not balling up then add more water at a tablespoon or two at a time. You don't want soupy dough. When it's balled up, remove it, kneed it a few times to make a nice ball. You can then roll it out on flour if you like, but if you are lazy like me, then you can toss some flour in a non-stick pan, put the ball of dough in the center and press it out with your fingers. This is quick and easy and less mess. Bake at 325 on a convection setting if you have one, for about 20-30 minutes till it's just about to get crispy. I use an 8 inch non-stick cake pan and bake this in my toaster oven. No sense heating up a huge oven unless you are making more than one or are making a large size! After the crust is baking I slice the mushrooms and add the other marinade ingredients so they can marinate a few minutes. If you've ever tried making your own pizza, you know that when adding fresh mushrooms they sometimes end up a bit dry, this helps them stay moist. Then I slice up the rest of veggies and wait for the crust.

What is nutritional yeast? It is a yeast that is grown on sugar cane and then heat treated to deactivate it. It is a source of protein and really high in B complex vitamins and is a staple in a vegan diet. It also has a really cheesy flavor. It can be used in about any recipe that requires a cheesy flavor.

After baking the crust, add your marinara sauce and veggies, strain the liquid off the mushrooms, add those and the garlic to your pizza. You can always re-use the marinade (or make it into a home made salad dressing by adding some oil & water) Hold the basil until until the last few minutes of baking. Bake this at 350 on a regular setting for about 10-15 minutes then add the basil. Bake another 5-10 minutes and voila! The crust comes out really dense and crispy. I like millet flour and oats, but you can try other gluten free flours. Bob's Redmill has many different kinds of flours and a gluten-free pizza dough mix (not organic that I've seen though). Click the photos for a close up!



No comments:

Post a Comment