Sunday, December 23, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Herbed Gravy

From Vegetarian Times Magazine:
2 russet potatoes
12 button mushrooms
3 carrots
3 celery stalks
2 small onions
4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 dry red wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
4 sprigs fresh parsley
1 tsp of thyme (or 4 sprigs of  fresh)
1/2 tsp rosemary (or 2 sprigs of  fresh)
1/2 tsp majoram (or 2 sprigs of fresh)
1/2 tsp sage (or 2 sprigs of fresh)
2 bay leaves
12 peppercorns

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Quarter 1 russet potato, and place in large dutch oven with mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Toss with olive oil. Roast 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or until vegetables are deep brown on edges.

Transfer Dutch oven to stove top and stir in wine, tomato paste and 8 cups of water. Add fresh herb sprigs, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. 

Strain liquid, (you should have 5 cups) and discard solids. Peel remaining potato, and cut into small cubes. Return broth to pot with potato and season with salt and pepper if desired. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until liquid is reduced to 2.5 cups. Blend liquid with potato in blender or using an immersion blender. Strain gravy through a sieve or fine-meshed strainer.

What a yummy vegetable, no-guilt gravy. I made a version of this gravy for Thanksgiving, it was delish, my mom loved it and she's not vegetarian! As a vegetarian I do not have to skip on gravy any more... love it!! Now, for my version I saved all the mushrooms and kept them whole in the gravy... I love mushrooms I was not gonna let those babies go to waste! I also took part of the strained veggies and put them in the food processor and pureed them and added them back to thicken the gravy more. I used ground peppercorns instead of whole. I did not strain my gravy either. I wanted mine thick! I also used mostly dried herbs, I did not have majoram, red wine or tomato paste on hand. It was really tasty without these ingredients. Another great thing about this gravy... it NEVER clumps, you can make it ahead, refrigerate it, reheat it, and no lumps. Unfortunately, I have no picture for this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment